2019 World Choral Conducting Competition
July 11 @ 8:00 am - July 15 @ 5:00 pm HKT
About the event
The first World Choral Conducting Competition will take place from 11-15 July 2019 in Hong Kong during the 2019 World Youth & Children’s Choir Festival.
A team of nine international jurors will be joined by the official competition choir, Utopia & Reality Chamber Choir.
12-16 conductors, aged 35 or below, will be selected to compete in Hong Kong for performance opportunities and cash prizes totalling HK$100,000.
Places are available for individual delegates to attend the event as observers. Please use the links below to register online.
Dates & Venues
- Arrival date: 11 July 2019
- Departure date: 15 July 2019
- Round One and Two: 12 & 13 July 2019 @ Tsuen Wan Town Hall Auditorium
- Final Round: Afternoon, 14 July 2019 @ Hong Kong City Hall Concert Hall
- Performance by the Champion with the Choir: Evening, 14 July 2019 @ Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall
International Jury members include
- Prof. Péter ERDEI (Hungary) – chair
- Brady Allred (USA)
- Martin Berger (South Africa)
- Ursa Lah (Slovenia)
- Zoltan Pad (Hungary)
- Ragnar Rasmussen (Norway)
- Leon Shu-wai Tong (Hong Kong China)
- Pascal ADOUMBOU（France)
- Jack APPERLEY（UK）
- Linas BALANDIS (Lithuania)
- Julia Selina BLANK (Germany)
- Katherine CHAN (Australia)
- Masis Aram GÖZBEK (Turkey)
- Petra GRASSI (Italy / Slovenia)
- Evgeníi IVANÓV (Russia)
- Benjamin Theophilus KIRK (UK)
- Heeseong LEE (South Korea)
- Alexandra MAKAROVA (Russia)
- Cathrie YUEN (Hong Kong China)
Official competition choir: Utopia & Reality Chamber Choir
Founders and Artistic Directors: Prof. Ragnar RASMUSSEN & Prof. Urša LAH
The Utopia & Reality Chamber Choir is a versatile and international choir established in 2011.
Their members comprise of talented young singers from different countries to perform contemporary choral music on a high artistic level. In addition to their upcoming Residency at the 2019 World Youth & Children’s Choir Festival – Hong Kong (which follows the Conducting Competition), the Choir was invited to perform at a number of international festivals including Musical Evenings (Piran, Slovenia, Jul 2011), International Choral Festival “VOCE!” (Bosco Chiesanuova, Jul 2013), “Concerti nel Chiostro” (Verona, Italy, Jul 2013), The Nordlysfestivalen (Tromsø, Norway, (Jan 2014), The 12th China International Choral Festival (Beijing, China, Aug 2014), The 2nd City of Derry International Choral Festival (Oct 2014). The Choir was then invited as “Artist in Residence” for The 3rd City of Derry International Choral Festival and the Arts Council of Northern Ireland organized a tour for the choir in Northern Ireland in October 2015.
In 2016 the choir was guest of the concert cycles of Glasbena Matica in Ljubljana and of Simfonic Voices in Koper. In 2017 the choir was invited to perform an evening concert in Mariinsky Theathre in St. Pétersburg in the frame of the II. Festival Maslenitsa in Song and was also “the choir in residence” at the International Choral Festival in Preveza, Greece.
The Choir has also been invited to make a number of recordings, most notably with the publisher Cantando Musikkforlag.