Welcome to the 50th NORVIS Early Music Summer School
NORVIS is an annual full week-long early music summer school in County Durham which we’re proud to describe as one of the UK’s longest-established and friendliest early music summer schools.
We are celebrating our Golden Jubilee, in 2022 rather than 2020, as we move to a fine new venue at Barnard Castle School, next door to the splendid Bowes Museum.
‘Sympathetic and informative teaching’
‘Very good variety – always something I wanted to do’
‘Good fun, great atmosphere, very good repertoire’
‘Went beyond expectations’
About the course
If you love playing early music, a week at NORVIS will enable you to make progress.
- We teach and perform with recorders, viols, lutes, baroque strings, harpsichord and voices, and cover a wide range of repertoire from early Renaissance to late Baroque.
- We have an impressive line-up of specialist performers and teachers.
- We have a particularly generous student-tutor ratio.
- We give a number of bursaries to enable individuals to participate in NORVIS who would be otherwise unable to do so.
- Andrew Fowler – Musical Director
- Elizabeth Dodd – viol, dance
- Alison Kinder – recorder, baroque oboe
- Oonagh Lee – recorder, baroque oboe
- Richard MacKenzie – lute, theorbo, early guitar
- Chris Orton – recorder
- Susanna Pell – viol
- Jacqui Robertson-Wade – solo bass viol
- Jane Rumney – recorder
- John Treherne MBE – harpsichord
- Mary Tyers – recorder
- Michael Willamson – baroque strings
- Tim Harper – accompanist, keyboard continuo
Fees for adults
- Full board and tuition: £790.00
- Non-resident with tuition (inc lunch and evening meal): £580.00
Fees for young people and those in full-time education
- Full board and tuition: £650.00
- Non-resident with tuition (inc lunch and evening meal): £480.00
- There is an ‘Early Bird’ discount of £20 for applications before 1 April 2021
- A discount of £50 on tuition fees will be given to those introducing a new participant
- A discount of £50 per person will be offered to adults sharing a room (not applicable to young people/students, who are normally expected to share)
Bursaries and help with fees
- Please visit the NORVIS website for detailed information