The Royal Irish Academy of Music (RIAM) Virtual Youth Choir Summer Project invites singers age 13-18 to spend a week honing their choral singing and musicianship skills and learning about healthy vocal technique as they receive online coaching from Dublin Youth Choir Founder Lynsey Callaghan and work on a collaborative social-distance singing project.
Students will take part in a wide range talks and workshops, from conducting and musicianship skills, to vocal masterclasses. This year’s course focuses on repertoire by women composers and will explore A Fancy of Folksongs by Cecilia McDowall and Cantate Domino by Laura Sheils, among other pieces.
There are solo opportunities for every voice part and selected soloists will get to take part in a masterclass with RIAM Vocal faculty member Sylvia O’Regan, working with her to put the finishing touches on their solo before the final recording.
This is an exciting, and hugely ambitious project, and will give young people who love to sing the chance to accomplish something truly extraordinary this summer.
- To explore a range of repertoire by women composers
- To focus on two works: A Fancy of Folksongs by Cecilia McDowall and Cantate Domino by Laura Sheils
- To develop singers’ musical competencies through a deep exploration of the repertoire
- To participate in an ambitious remote recording project
- Ability: No previous experience require, though it will be helpful
- Age: 13-18
- Tech: A laptop, tablet or Phone with good internet connection and the ability to record video and audio
‘The RIAM Summer course exceeded my expectations. Not only did it allow me to keep up with singing during lockdown, but it also provided me with life-changing vocal advice, one-on-one vocal tuition with a professional tutor, and a whole week of fun music learning. The staff were engaging and encouraging. I will be back!’
‘This summer course was so much fun! Not only did I learn to sing the music, but I learned to analyse and conduct the music too. I have continued to use all of the musicianship skills I learned on the course. Lynsey was very motivating and encouraging, she made a challenging piece of music easy to learn. I would highly recommend this course!’