Conductor person specification
London Youth Choirs seeks a skilled and experienced choir leader who is passionate about bringing high quality singing to children of all backgrounds in West London.
The choir meets on Thursday after school between 4-6pm and rehearsals will be held in Pitshanger, Ealing. There will be termly local performances, and also wider performance opportunities within the LYC framework, such as combined concerts with the other choirs, and also commercial and workshop opportunities.
Knowledge, skills and experience
The ideal candidate will:
- have experience of working with young people from all backgrounds and have a passion for inclusive practice
- possess a technical knowledge of the voice and best practice for children’s voices
- have the ability to make informed repertoire choices and be able to arrange music in a suitable way (if required)
- be a keen advocate for the benefits of choral singing for young people
- have substantial experience of working with a diverse range of young people and training young voices to a high level
- be able to connect with and inspire young people to achieve quality performances
- be a talented musician in their own field
- be an excellent role model with knowledge and experience in safeguarding and child protection
- possess relevant DBS documentation and be willing to undergo a new check with LYC
- Thursdays 4-6pm in Ealing during term time from September 2021 onwards
- Plus any predetermined concert and rehearsal dates within Greater London (agreed on a case by case basis)
- £100 per rehearsal
- £150 per concert
- You are expected to be registered as self-employed and therefore responsible for your own Tax and National Insurance
Please complete the Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. You can also find both forms here.
- Deadline for applications: 4pm, Wednesday 26 May
- Round 1 interviews for selected applications: Thursday 10 June. Selected applicants will receive invitations to interview in the week of 31 May. Interviews will be held via Zoom on Thursday 10 June and last 20-30 minutes.
- Round 2 trial sessions for selected applications: Thursday 17 June. Selected applicants will be invited to lead a trial session following interview. Sessions will be held in person at St Barnabas Church, Pitshanger with the choir and may last up to an hour.
- Decision, notification and start date: We will notify all applicants of our final decision in the week of 21 June. We would like the new LYC West conductor to be available to start at the beginning of the Autumn Term and will work with you to agree the best start date.
Find out more at our Open Evening
Want to know more about the role, or about LYC, before you apply? We are holding an online Open Evening over Zoom at 7.00pm on Wednesday 12 May and would love you to join us if you’re free. Sign up here (via Eventbrite).
About London Youth Choirs
London Youth Choirs exists to enrich the lives of young Londoners through singing. We provide children and young people living or educated in London with high-calibre choral singing tuition and unique performance opportunities.
We have a family of eight choirs with a current membership of over 300 young people aged 7-23 years old, and run a wider outreach programme engaging up to 1,000 children a year in singing activities. Our sessions are designed to educate and inspire, build confidence, and develop skills in teamwork and leadership; all whilst championing inclusivity and understanding. London Youth Choirs aims to be truly representative of the population of London and currently works with young people from over 30 London boroughs.